Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Potato Salad

I tried a new potato salad this weekend and really loved it. It was way different than anything I'd ever tried before, but I knew reading it that it was going to give me that tangy sweet punch that my potato salad has always been lacking, much to my dismay.

I started by boiling several whole potatos (about 5 or 6 l bs worth).. once the skins started to loosen and a fork inserted into them easily I drained them and had the husband peel the skins off the potatos (Hey, he's a mechanic and his fingers are tougher against heat than mine are hehe).. While waiting for the potatos to cool I boiled 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup of sugar and one cup of water, then let it cool. Once the vinegar mixture and the potatoes had cooled down a bit, I diced the potatoes into big chunks, placed them in a large bowl and poured the vinegar marinade over them and set the whole thing into the fridge for several hours (at least 7 or 8).

When I was ready to mix up the potato salad, I drained the potatoes and let them sit in a colander for a little while so they would drained really well. I finely diced up some yellow onion, threw it into a bowl with about half a cup of sweet pickle relish and a couple ribs of finely diced celery(next time I will omit the celery, I just wasn't digging it like I thought I would). Then I tossed the potatoes in with these things, sprinkled about a teaspoon of onion powder, half a teaspoon of celery salt, a teaspoon of paprika, and some freshly ground black pepper over the top. I added about a teaspoon of honey dijon mustard, and somewhere between 3/4-1 cup of light mayo (I *am* on a diet you know lol) and mixed it all together. Left it in the fridge overnight and let me tell ya.. WOW!!! I just adored it! The marinade really gave the potatoes a sweet tangy-ness that I just have always tried to get when making potato salad, but until now had never achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment