Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Finally made the chicken tacos!




Isn't that such a lovely looking plate of food?? It tasted just as lovely. :) I used the recipe for the chicken tacos with mango avocado salsa that I posted last week.. it turned out quite yummy! And I did my rice with the chicken stock and cilantro and lime... really good stuff, especially with the mango avocado salsa on top (thats how the husband did his and gave me a bite.. good stuff!) My sis in law made us homemade tortillas and oh man oh man... talk about AMAZING. Here is her recipe:

4 cups AP flour
1.5 Tbs salt
1.5 Tbs baking powder
1/2 cup shortening (or lard if you're adventurous)
1 cup cold water

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then cut in the shortening with a pastry blender (I think you could prolly do this in a food processor as well) until it resembles coarse crumbs... gradually add in the cold water and knead into a soft ball. The dough shouldn't be sticky at all, so add more flour if it is. At this point we refrigerated the dough while we got the chicken and rice cooking. When ready to make the tortillas, roll the dough into 15 little balls, about the size of a golf ball, maybe a tad bigger. Then roll the balls out with a rolling pin into as round a shape you can get.. ours were quite interesting shaped LOL One looked like a dogs head. haha Cook them on a very hot griddle until they are browned on both sides. I used my cast iron griddle. I started cooking them while my sis in law finished rolling the balls into tortillas. Here's what they look like when you have flipped it at the right time:


Aren't they so pretty? They tasted so dang good. I've never done home made tortillas before, and I'm so glad my sis in law showed me her recipe and taught me to do it. The boys were all gone tonight on various sleepovers and camp.. but the twins really liked them and said that Aunt Jamie's "tortitas" rocked! hehe Try them someday soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment