Monday, July 4, 2011

Layered Salad and Bacon Mushroom Cheesebugers


Isn't it pretty?! It tasted just as good, too! Gotta thank PW for this one.. With a few changes to fit our tastes. I put one head of chopped iceburg lettuce on the bottom(skipped the baby spinach, cuz my man is picky) and sprinkled it with salt and pepper, then layered on chopped hard boiled eggs(5, but i swear I made 6.. I think a kid stole one), crumbled bacon (1 lb package), then diced tomatoes (3 big romas), 1 small can of sliced black olives, then about 6 or 7 sliced green onions, shredded 2% cheddar cheese (about 6 oz), and about a cup of semi thawed frozen peas. For the dressing I whisked together just over half a cup of hellmans light mayo (when it comes to light mayo, it's gotta be hellmans for me), a little over half a cup of fat free sour cream, 1.5 tablespoons sugar.. I poured this on top of my salad and spread it around with a spatula and then sprinkled the top with a bit of shredded cheese and sliced green onions. And then I put it in the fridge while we lit the grill and got the burgers and stuff ready. When dinner was ready, I tried to toss the salad together while it was still in my pretty bowl.. but it just wasn't working because I kept spilling ingredients out on the counter/floor. So I gave up and went and got my huge tupperware bowl and dumped it all in there and gave it a good toss.

For the burgers... Yummy stuff. Simple patties, just salt and pepper.. kids had american cheese, all the grownups but me had pepper-jack cheese.. but I had the rest of the 2% shredded cheddar on mine. I sauteed sliced cremini mushrooms in a tiny bit of bacon grease and some butter over high heat.. Once they started getting nicely brown after about 8-10 mins, I sprinkled a pinch of salt over them, stirred them.. then deglazed the pan with a bit of beef stock and gave it one shake of worcestershire sauce. Man oh man.. these were some GOOD mushrooms!!!

In the picture above, you see normal burger buns.. but the grownups got to have some toasted onion poppyseed rolls. Those were *the bomb*. I made a little dijon mayo spread for my burger.. took 1 tbs of my light mayo with half a tablespoon of some super thick and grainy dijon mustard and mixed them together.. I spread this on my bottom bun, then spooned on some of my mushrooms, then my patty with melted cheese, a slice of bacon broken and crisscrossed over the top.. and a tiny bit of ketchup on my top bun (cuz I can't eat a burger without ketchup). This coupled with my layered veggie salad and a spoonful of my favorite storebought potato salad.. and man oh man.. talk about an all american yummy 4th of July dinner! The kids were most impressed with the bacon cheeseburgers.. we've never done that at home. And believe it or not.. my two little bacon hounds, Heather and Hannah.. took the bacon OFF their bugers.. wtf?! idk. I'm still stumped about that one.

All in all.. SO yummy! I kinda wish we'd been at the lake having our yearly 4th of July fish fry and watching fireworks.. but Dave hasn't been fishing in months and all the fireworks in town were cancelled due to the burn ban.. So we just made do at home. And you know what? I am kinda glad we did. We'd just now be getting home from the lake and its midnight.. Instead everyone is in bed and no one is maxed out. Works for me. :)

Happy 4th of July everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment