Thursday, November 19, 2009

Breakfast of Champions

So I'm eating chocolate chip cookies for breakfast.. Yeah, I know.. Really healthy, The Mamma.

In other news.. I found my younger brother on Facebook! My brother and I have a half brother, by our real father. He is 12 years younger than me, and has always lived in another state. I've never really known him, because I don't have much of a relationship with The Real Father. Well, I don't have one at all any longer. But even as a kid, he just wasn't there for me as my dad. My step-dad was my daddy. The Real Father lived in Colorado, and the extent of his parenting was 5 or 6 weeks every summer... and that ended by the time I was 12 or 13... right around the time my little brother came along. He never really called me, except on my birthday. He wrote letters to me each week for a while, when I was in 2nd grade.. But again, it didn't last. He always thought I should be the one calling him.. and I'm sorry, but it's not a childs responsibility to keep a relationship going. He didn't have time for me, so I don't really have any interest in him now. Because of this, I've never really known The Younger Brother.

Well, I found him on Facebook.. I was pretty excited to find him... and shocked to see how grown up he is now. My last memory of him was when he was 6.. and before that I hadn't seen him since he was a baby.. And now he's 18, almost 19! I requested to add him as a friend, and told him that if he was interested, I'd really like to get to know one another. I was happy when he accepted my request and added me as a facebook friend. We chatted for the first time last night, and while it was sort of awkward at first, soon we were laughing. Before going to bed, I look through all of the stuff on his profile.. in his notes section, he's got some very interesting essays. For 18 years old.. he's pretty deep. After reading through the stuff he had there.. I felt a connection.. a real bond. My little brother is a LOT like me. Some of the things he wrote in a "25 things about me" post were amazing.. stuff I could have written about myself! He's got really interesting views on society, and he's extremely mature, in my opinion. My older brother and I are not very alike at all. Polar opposites, really.. so to find out that I have a sibiling that is very much like me.. very thought provoking, very insightful, almost brooding.. but not in a bad way.. you can just tell he's a thinker. Like me. I can't even begin to explain my thought processes.. But you name it, and I've probably thought about it, and have an opinion about it.. He used those exact words in his post.. and they describe me to a tee. To read him describe himself that way.. It just really affirmed the fact that I have another brother. He's not just some far off person that I don't know. He's a sibiling that I have things in common with.. And I *really* like that. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am to know more about this amazing young man.

So, here's to getting to know The Brother. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment