Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chicken and Mushroom Enchiladas.. plus cupcakes!





Don't they look good?? Gosh. LOL These were so freaking good. Dave ate 6. Yes SIX. And I did something new.. I added a ton of stuff to my filling with the chicken and cream cheese.. Here's what I did..

First I took some boneless skinless chicken breasts and rubbed them down with some olive oil and salt and peppered them and put them in a 425 degree oven for 20 mins. Then I sliced up one box of cremini mushrooms and asked my sis in law to slice up an onion.. Threw them into a really hot pan that had butter and olive oil in it... sauteed them till they were golden brown and then tossed in some minced garlic.. Then I deglazed the pan with some marsala (I know.. weird right? it was good!) and let it cook down. During this time my sis in law sliced up some black olives and some pickled jalapeno peppers. When the chicken was cool enough to handle (not really, I burned my fingers lol) we pulled it apart and shredded it a bit, leaving nice big chunks.. Then we put all of this into a big mixing bowl with half a block of cream cheese, a handfull of shredded cheddar cheese (literally a handful lol) and about 1/3 of a big can of diced green chilies and I mixed all this together. It was really hard to not just grab forks at this point and go for it straight from the bowl, forgetting the tortillas and sauce all together.. but somehow we managed some sort of self restraint and mixed up the sauce..

For the sauce I mixed a 16oz container of sour cream (I used fat free) and a can of.. a can... uhm. Dangit I'm ashamed of the next ingredient. But I used it, I can't lie.. I used a can of cream of crap, I mean cream of chicken, soup. There I said it. Flay me now. But it works so good. LOL
Anyway.. I mixed together the sour cream and cream of crap, then I added in the rest of green chilies, a big handfull of chopped fresh cilantro, a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of onion powder, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of garlic pepper. This tasted yum!

We rolled a hefty portion of the filling into flour tortillas and lined them up, seam side down in a buttered casserole dish.. Then I ladled sauce down the middle of the row of enchiladas, leaving just the edges of the tortillas bare from sauce (I like this way this looks personally.. you can smother them if thats your thing LOL).. then I put a few handfulls of cheese down the center of line of sauce, sprinkled it with some sliced black olives and popped them into the oven at 375-400 until the cheese was all melted and the enchiladas heated through.

Best enchiladas I have EVER made. Mushrooms and olives were the best freakin thing. THE BEST!!! :)


The cupcakes we made today were really yummy too... Just look:


The cake is actually just a mix my sis in law had in her stuff, from Paula Deen... we added some of my vanilla bean paste to it to doctor it up a bit... Then I took those frozen berries I've been trying to decide what to do with into a pan with a couple cups of sugar and some water and cooked them down.. sent them through the food processor to puree them.. back into the hot pot and added a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up. Filled the cupcakes, using my new cupcake filler tip after hollowing out a small portion in the top of the cupcake (I'll post pics of how to do this tomorrow) . We made a buttercream with almond extract in it that tasted devine.. Then I showed my sis in law and our three girls how to do the rosettes I learned how to do over at iambakers blog. So cute, so yummy!!!!

Tomorrow we are thinking of doing the other box of cupcake mix with some banana cream filling she has in her box of pantry stuff.. and icing them with some leftover chocolate buttercream I have in the fridge and the leftover almond buttercream. Can we so oh hell yeah? MMMMMMMMMM lol And tomorrow night dinner is gonna be spaghetti and meatballs. :) Yum. Shoot. I forgot french bread. Dangit. Gonna have to send the sis in law to the store I think.

I love cooking with my sis in law.. we have such a good time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment